Market leading insight for tax experts
View online issue

How to handle tax appeals

1. Do I have an appealable decision?

There are numerous decisions from HMRC which carry a right of appeal. The most common decisions which can be appealed include the following:

(i) a conclusion stated or amendment made by an enquiry closure notice issued under TMA 1970 s 28A or s 28B or FA 1998 Sch 18 para 34;

(ii) an amendment of a self-assessment made by HMRC during an enquiry in order to prevent a loss of tax under TMA 1970 s 9C or FA 1998 Sch 18 para 30 – often referred to as ‘jeopardy amendments’;

(iii) an amendment of a partnership return made under TMA 1970 s 30B (loss of tax discovered); or

(iv) an assessment to tax which is not a self-assessment for example a ‘discovery assessment’ issued under TMA 1970 s 29 or FA...

If you or your firm subscribes to, please click the login box below:

If you do not subscribe but are a registered user, please enter your details in the following boxes:

Alternatively, you can register free of charge to read a limited amount of subscriber content per month.
Once you have registered, you will receive an email directing you back to read this article in full.