Market leading insight for tax experts
View online issue

Ask an expert: VAT on letting to a serviced accommodation provider


My client has just bought the freehold of a large disused pub which has two flats above that had been rented out until recently but are now vacant. He is planning to refurbish the pub and let it to a commercial tenant. In terms of the flats above he has been approached by Dreamy Pads Ltd (‘the company’) which provides serviced accommodation to visiting professionals mostly under short-term arrangements (which could be for as little as a night or two) but sometimes for longer terms (of six months or more) under assured shorthold tenancy agreements (ASTs). It wants him to refurbish the flats to a high standard complete with all furniture and contents such as bedding and kitchen equipment. The company will then lease the flats from him and pay monthly rent (whether or not they are occupied). It will...

If you or your firm subscribes to, please click the login box below:

If you do not subscribe but are a registered user, please enter your details in the following boxes:

Alternatively, you can register free of charge to read a limited amount of subscriber content per month.
Once you have registered, you will receive an email directing you back to read this article in full.
Please reach out to customer services at +44 (0) 330 161 1234 or '' for further assistance.